Friday, June 14, 2013

New Product: WilkinsGRIP D4 Grips for the Spyderco Delica 4 Series

Here's a first look at my newest product! The WilkinsGRIP D4 gripset designed for the Spyderco Delica 4 Series folding knives.

It took me a while to get these worked out, because as always I did not want to just make a copy the factory grips in another material. I have subtly – and not so subtly – changed the form and shape of the grip to transform the Delica 4 into a different knife. Not that the Delica isn't already a great knife. It is. I just wanted to make it into something a little different! And I think I succeeded.

The WilkinsGRIP D4 is a couple of millimeters longer than the stock Delica 4 and front of the grips has a slightly deeper radius to better insure that the user's hand doesn't slip forward onto the sharp edge. The underside of the grip is now straight and the spine has been totally redesigned to better fill the hand.

In order to allow for the redesign, I also include a new spacer which is CNC machined and incorporates a steel cross pin which engages dual holes in the Spyderco liners. This is very important as the back spring puts a lot of stress on the spacer.

I am including 7 new slot head screws with large head diameters than the stock screws. These are non-standard thread screws and were very difficult to obtain. If the project takes off, I have the option to order custom made Button Head Torx screws with a large head. However, I think the little slot head screws look pretty cool too.

The bad news (sort of) is that the Delica is NOT an easy knife to reassemble. The Griptilians are a piece of cake in comparison. I am strongly considering doing a How-To with pics and perhaps a video. Do not order these grips if you have no idea how to take apart and put a Delica back together. Just a word to the wise. I have a couple of gripsets for sale installed on a new Delica!

Right now I will be selling 12 sets of grips, all Hardcoat Black anodized, machines from 6082-T6 Alu with Dural spacers left in the white. If all goes well, I will be producing the grips in various flavors of G10/G11 as well as other alu colors and titanium.

Oh, and I'm already working on a similar design for the Enduras!

More pics will follow on the weekend!

Price per WilkinsGRIP D4 Gripset including grips, spacer and 7 screws: €130.90 (€110 for sales shipping outside the European Union) plus shipping.

Price per WilkinsGRIP D4 Gripset installed on a NEW Delica 4 including grips, spacer and 7 screws: €202.30 (€170 for sales shipping outside the European Union) plus shipping.





Here's few more pics!