Thursday, May 9, 2013

Alu Update!

WilkinsGRIP BMGmini grips in Alu didn't come back from anodizing this week ... Today is a holiday here in Germany and the company is closed tomorrow (Friday) so it will be middle of next week when I can pick up the grips.

I should finish the first run of WilkinsGRIP BMG X2 grips in Alu tomorrow and be able to drop them off for anodizing when I pick up the Minis. These are looking really cool.

All of my Alu grips are machined, then tumble polished to soften the sharp corners that are wear points for the anodizing, then each set gets a hand-satin rub and off they go for anodizing.

I will be offering the X2 grisets in Hardcoat black and Blood Red – plus one more color still to be decided. I'm looking forward to seeing how the minis come out in Prussian Blue. If that looks cool, I'll go with Prussian Blue for the large grips too. Otherwise, I'll pick out something nice!

I think the darker colors generally look better on the grips than lighter colors like yellow or orange.

I will also be having some large spacers done in Blood Red and offering those installed on on black gripsets.

Haas Mini Mill Update: Getting everything set up and working has – like everything knife-related – taken more time and cost more money that I planned. I expect to make my first parts next week. I have two very nice hydraulic machine vises I purchased with the Mini Mill (new price of the vises alone: $5000) that will allow me a lot more flexibility in my workholding. I also designed a custom subplate that will work with all of my other fixtures and allow more range for new fixtures. The plate is being manufactured now as it is too big to make on my machines.